Today we are going to show you the adjectives of nationality in Italian. Remember that Italian adjectives agree in gender (masculine/feminine) and number (singular/plural) with the nouns they modify. If you want to know more about it, you can read our post how to form adjectives in Italian.
LIST OF ADJECTIVES OF NATIONALITY IN ITALIAN
Below you can find a list of adjectives of nationality in Italian with their English translation.
As you can see, some adjectives of nationality end in –o when they refer to a masculine name and in –a when they refer to a feminine name, as for example the Italian adjective americano: Paul è americano – Kate è americana.
On the other hand, there are other adjectives which in the singular form always end in –e, as for example the Italian adjective inglese: Marcus è inglese – Eliza è inglese
And remember that adjectives of nationality are not capitalized in Italian.
- algerino (m) / algerina (f): Algerian
- americano (m) /americana (f): American
- argentino (m) / argentina (f): Argentinian
- australiano (m) / australiana (f): Australian
- boliviano (m) / boliviana (f): Bolivian
- brasiliano (m) / brasiliana (f): Brazilian
- canadese (m-f): Canadian
- cileno (m) / cilena (f): Chilean
- cinese (m-f): Chinese
- colombiano (m) / colombiana (f): Colombian
- egiziano (m) / egiziana (f): Egyptian
- finlandese (m-f): Finnish
- francese (m-f): French
- greco (m) / greca (f): Greek
- inglese (m-f): English
- irlandese (m-f): Irish
- italiano (m) / italiana (f): Italian
- marocchino (m) / marocchina (f): Moroccan
- norvegese (m-f): Norwegian
- polacco (m) / polacca (f): Polish
- portoghese (m-f): Portuguese
- russo (m) / russa (f): Russian
- scozzese (m-f): Scottish
- spagnolo (m) / spagnola (f): Spanish
- svizzero (m) / svizzera (f): Swiss
- tedesco (m) / tedesca (f): German
- thailandese (m-f): Thai
- ucraino (m) / ucraina (f): Ukrainian
- peruviano (m) / peruviana (f): Peruvian
These are just some adjectives of nationality in Italian. If you want to know more about this topic and discover how to pronounce these Italian words, please watch the video below:
If you want to learn Italian with a native and qualified Italian teacher, remember that our school offers one-to-one Italian lessons at your home/office in London and Italian lessons via Skype.
With our private lessons you will learn Italian easily, quickly and in an effective way. If you want to receive a trial lesson, contact us and we will be very happy to give you more information.