The CILS certification (Certificazione di Italiano come Lingua Straniera) is an official title awarded by the University for Foreigners of Siena that certifies the level of linguistic-communicative competence of Italian as a foreign language.
Parlando Italiano is the official examination centre for the CILS exam. All students who are interested in taking the exam in London can register through our center. In addition, Parlando Italiano has preparation courses for the CILS exams throughout the year for anyone, regardless of where you reside. We offer Italian lessons online and face-to-face classes at your home/office.
Check the dates of the CILS exams to find out when the next exam is.
The CILS certification is divided into six levels of language competence and is adapted to the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: level A1, level A2, level UNO-B1, level DUE-B2, level TRE-C1, level QUATTRO-C2.
Levels A1 and A2 certify a basic knowledge of the Italian language, levels UNO-B1 and DUE-B2 are aimed at intermediate level users, while levels TRE-C1 and QUATTRO-C2 certify an advanced command of the language.
In order to obtain the CILS certificate, candidates have to pass five tests. The structure of the exam is as follows:
- Listening comprehension
- Reading comprehension
- Analysis of communication structures
- Written production
- Oral production
The first 4 tests have a variable duration depending on the level (about 2 hours for the A1 level tests and up to about 5 hours for the QUATTRO-C2 level). They are usually taken in the morning, while the oral production tests are done in the afternoon and have a duration of 10-15 minutes depending on the level. The oral part consists of two tests: a dialogue between the candidate and the examiner and a monologue by the candidate.
You can check the exam tests from previous years here.
In order to obtain the CILS certification it is necessary to pass all parts of the exam. If the candidate does not pass a certain skill, the student has 18 months to make up that specific part.
Why take the CILS exam?
Obtaining the CILS certification has many advantages:
- It is granted by the University for Foreigners of Siena that has official and indefinite validity, also, international recognition.
- If you want to apply for Italian citizenship by marriage or by residency, you will need to be in possession of an official Italian Language certificate (CILS B1 Citizenship).
- If you are looking for work in Italy or in a company where the use of Italian is required, having an official title will be an added value to your CV.
- Having an official certification is the right decision if you are thinking of studying in Italy. It is a great opportunity to improve your Italian level and it will be a recognition of your study and effort.
CILS Exam Preparation Courses
At Parlando Italiano we offer preparation courses for the CILS exams throughout the year. As these are private classes, you can start at any time.
We use the tests from the previous exams in our classes, so that students understand the different parts of the exam and have a chance to practice all the language skills.
We can also customize lessons. If you have already passed some parts of the exam and you need to improve a particular skill or pass a certain test, we can adapt the lessons to your specific needs.
For more information on the CILS Italian exams, contact us and we will be happy to help you.